19 Minutes was a book I read on my trip to Virginia to visit Brian.
My girlfriend Catt recommended this book to me when her book club had read it. I finally got my hands on a copy ~ Thank goodness for the city library~
I knew the subject matter before reading the book as Catt & I had discussed it previously but I did not realize how hard of a time I would have reading this book or that it would create such inner struggles.
The book is about a small town that is rocked by a school shooting. Without giving away too much (for those that might be interested in reading it later) it follows the life of a boy who is bullied and that of his best friend (or former best friend). Reading the abuse and feeling the characters pain makes it hard not to sympathize with the shooter but also reading the pain that he has caused makes it hard not to sympathize with the bullies. For me it emphasized the meanness of children, the lack of understanding of adults & the need for people in our society to fit in. When do we as adults forget our teen years? I can remember exactly how I felt as a teen yet the intensity of the shame, pride, loneliness etc... is no longer there. It scares me to think of how fragile a teenager's mind can be!
Although the book made me think of the unthinkable I definitely recommended it to anyone! it was a great book, very detailed with last minute twists and a powerful statement.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment